This page : Home : Flavor Research Programme
Promoting Flavor Research
amongst PhD Students in Europe
Seventh edition 2016/2017
Best Thesis Award
6 Bursaries for 1st Year PhD Students
Giract is proud to announce that, following the success of its unique and innovative programme to promote flavor research amongst PhD students in Europe across various universities and institutes, 8 industrial sponsors have agreed to extend the programme to its seventh year. This consortium of 8 premier companies aims to raise awareness of their industry and the career opportunities in order to increase the flavor research talent pool in Europe. The 8 sponsoring companies are:
- DSM FOOD SPECIALTIES
- INTERNATIONAL FLAVORS & FRAGRANCES INC.
- LESAFFRE INTERNATIONAL
- MCLS EUROPE
This seventh edition is also organised by Giract and co-ordinated by Prof. Andy Taylor from the University of Nottingham, UK.
To promote innovative flavor research amongst PhD candidates across European universities and research institutes. The project targets two different groups of PhD students:
- Group 1: students who are about to complete their PhD and hence will soon be examining opportunities for employment
- Group 2: students who are about to commence their PhD studies
This is translated into the following sub-objectives:
- Publicise the attractions of flavor research so as to pull high calibre students into appropriate PhD courses and then into industry
- For Group 1:
- Solicit and evaluate innovative flavor research projects amongst these students
- Provide the Annual Savory Flavor Conference, held in Geneva in the spring of each year, as a platform for the winning student to present his/her work to 'potential employers'
- Download full details and application form for the Best Thesis Award here (PDF)
- Download full details and application form for the Best Thesis Award here (MS Word)
- For Group 2:
- Provide bursaries to 6 selected students who are planning to commence their PhD studies in Flavors during the 2016/2017 academic year
- Enable winning students to choose one amongst selected sponsor companies for a one-week company laboratory visit. The 6 winning 1st year PhD students will be offered the opportunity of visiting the laboratory of their choice amongst the following sponsor companies for a period of one week during their second year of their PhD studies, by using a part of their winning bursary amount for their travel and stay. This will enable them to obtain a first-hand view of an industry R&D centre:
- DSM Food Specialities
- International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.
- Lesaffre International
- Download full details and application form for 1st year Bursary Awards here (PDF)
- Download full details and application form for 1st year Bursary Awards here (MS Word)